Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The value of time

Let's get right to it. Here's the precursor to this blog post. I highly recommend going through it first before you go continue with this post.

I have been harping about the important of money in the previous two posts. But here is the thing about money. It is out there in abundant supply!! There is no end to it!! The government can print as much of it as it likes! And that's exactly what we have seen happening in the past few years. I know this is a gross simplification of things but the point I am trying to make here is unlike say, gold, oil, dodos or chimpanzees, money is not going to get extinct. You can actually lose your money and earn it back again! (I know what you are thinking: Even I am surprised seeing chimpanzees in that list. Fun fact: We share about 98% of our genes with chimpanzees! Bet you didn't know that).

Anyway, my attitude towards money has changed a bit ever since I have started thinking of it as there being lot of it out there and it not being a scarce commodity (The catch is you gotta know how to earn it but that's not the purpose of this post). So, equally important, or more important, is another quantity: TIME, which IS actually the most scarce quantity there is and I am talking here, about the time we spend running after money. I have actually mentioned this in a couple of earlier blog posts - 

And this is what our guide Seneca who was first mentioned in the last blog has to say about the importance of time.

"What man can you show me who places any value on his time, who reckons the worth of each day, who understands that he is dying daily? For we are mistaken when we look forward to death; the major portion of death has already passed. Whatever years be behind us are in death's hands."


Now, here I have to admit dear readers, that this just blew me away. And here's why. I don't know about you but I have always though of death as something in the future. Something that I know will surely come one day, but nonetheless, one day in the future. Never thought of death as something that is actually happening to us each and every moment that we live. If doesn't make us realize the importance of time nothing will.

Take care and good luck! 

You can follow me on twitter for latest blog updates. Also, here is the link for free subscription to the blog.

No comments: